Sunday, June 26, 2011

Gear Head AC Powered

Orange County Photographer Greg Garcia's Equipment
From time to time I get asked what kind of gear do I use and I'll find myself scratching out an email, sending it out and of course emptying my trash right before I get asked again. So, I've decided to scratch this out one more time so it can have a permanent residence.

To answer this question, it really depends on what is needed for the job. I will split this into different categories to cover my bases but I will begin with the meat and potatoes. The primary DSLRs I use are the Canon 5D and the Canon 5D Mark II. My lens arsenal consists of a Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8, Canon EF 70-200 2.8 IS, and a Canon EF 85mm 1.8. I find I get most of my work done with those three lenses. For metering I still use my Sekonic handheld and I use a Calibration Target from PhotoVision for Custom White Balance. This is probably the absolute bare minimum I would take to any shoot.

For Lighting, if it's a scenario where we have access to AC Power, I use JTL VersaLights. Now I know this may be frowned upon to the "Mono Light" hating photographic community out there but I have found for a quick, unobtrusive set up, these really work well. If I'm setting up for a shoot in a doctor or lawyer's office, or even at a residence with families walking around, I don't have to worry about a battery pack and cables running through the room. I don't have to worry about a client or child tripping over cables and/or knocking over equipment. Usually, I can plug the lights into a perimeter wall outlet and the middle of the room stays clear. I find this works really well for me even in a three light set up.

To keep with a cable free environment, I use the JTL DigiFirer Wireless triggers for my lighting set up. The DigiFirer Triggers mate with their lights very well and I've had trouble free performance for years. For light modifiers, again, it depends on what is needed for the job. I have a 60" Convertable Umbrella from PhotoFlex as well as an assortment of smaller umbrellas with silver, translucent and reflective white materials. I have a 21" Beauty dish that I have enjoyed using as well as a number of soft boxes including the Photoflex Platinum Series Strip Dome Q39, for controlled light placement. With those tools, I've been able to satisfy the needs to get about any job done.

1 comment:

  1. What amazes me is that you seem to always have exactly the stuff you need for whatever the shoot may be. It's like watching a magician pulling stuff out of a hat or something.

    ReplyDelete

Ads Inside Post