Thursday, June 23, 2011

Poogie Bell





Poogie Bell photographed at the Vault in long Beach. Canon 10D and multiple strobe.
Every now and then you get a stressful, nightmare shoot. This was one of them. This was Murphy’s Law in full swing. Let me just say upfront, Poogie was awesome! This was a promotional shoot for Poogie’s cymbal endorsement and was shot at the Vault in Long Beach. The plan was to get some live shots at sound check before their show. Everything was arranged with the venue and the light man to run lights to look like show while I got my shots. That seemed simple enough, right? I arrived at the venue at the scheduled time and there’s no band, no Poogie. Apparently his flight from Pittsburgh had been delayed. I waited two hours and I asked the cymbal rep, what are we going to do? His answer was pretty much, wait a little longer and shoot what you can. We were about fifteen minutes from doors opening when they finally arrive. Of course they need to sound check so they get onstage and the monitors do not work. So now the sound guy is pissed and doesn’t want anybody on the stage. The house is screaming they need to close the stage curtains because they need to open the doors. I’m getting nervous so I start unpacking all my cases for lighting and start setting up for another back up plan. I knew once they close that curtain, that stage is dark. All the front lighting is outside the curtain line. They close the curtain and the band is ready to go to the hotel. I’m feverishly trying to set up lights to get some shots. I lit Poogie with an umbrella from the front, I put light with a red gel on a boom overhead and I threw a blue light behind him aiming at the curtain. Meanwhile, Poogie’s band mates are yelling “C’mon! Let’s go! Bus is leaving…” I told Poogie, just a few shots and you’re outta here… I’m set, ready to go. Let’s go… Poogie sat down; wearing the shirt he was traveling in and I said, just play. It wasn’t but a few seconds before the stage manager stormed the stage furious because doors were open but I had already gotten my handful of shots. I’m not exactly sure what Poogie is so happy about in this shot. Maybe he could see behind me and new I was about to get my head chopped off. I don’t know but it works for me. Istanbul chose to run a different image at NAMM and I’ve included that image as well. All in a days work, right?

Orange County Photographer Shoots Poogie Bell at the Vault in Long Beach


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post