Saturday, July 23, 2011

Gear Head - Mobile

Orange County Photographer Greg Garcia's Equipment
This is a follow up to Gear Head - AC Powered. Most of the content will be the same. So, the reason for this entry? This will answer the inquiry for an environmental location shoot without any access to electricity.
I have organized my gear so with a couple swaps in lighting, I'm still good to go. The primary DSLRs I use are the Canon 5D and the Canon 5D Mark II. My lens arsenal consists of a Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8, Canon EF 70-200 2.8 IS, and a Canon EF 85mm 1.8. I find I get most of my work done with those three lenses. For metering I still use my Sekonic handheld and I use a Calibration Target for Custom White Balance. This is probably the absolute bare minimum I would take to any shoot.

For Lighting on a "Mobile" shoot, I use JTL MobilLights with battery packs. I have a Quantum Q Flash with a Turbo Battery pack and the Canon 580EX that I can mount to a stand with a shoe mount trigger, that plugs into my wireless receiver for off camera lighting. I'll use the Q Flash or 580EX to lighten the load if we are hiking the gear to a remote location or if I need a quick accent light to pick up some detail. I find this works really well for me even in a multiple light set up.

Keeping with the same JTL Lighting mounts enables me to use the same light modifiers as I would with the VersaLights. Depending on what is needed for the job, I have a large 60" Convertable Umbrella and a number of smaller umbrellas that are Silver, Translucent and White Reflective. I have a 21" Beauty dish that I have enjoyed using as well as a number of soft boxes including the Photoflex Platinum Series Strip Dome Q39, for controlled light placement. With those tools, I've been able to satisfy the needs to get about any job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post