Saturday, June 29, 2013

Finding a Family Photographer

When it comes to photography and selecting a photographer, if there's one thing you have, it's a choice.  In this time of digital photography and technology, everybody is a photographer.  Well, I guess that's all on how you look at it.  A more factual statement is everybody has a camera.  It's funny how in this industry, no one has any reservations about calling themselves a photographer just because they have purchased an expensive (in some cases) camera.  I have a lot of records and a large CD collection but that doesn't make me a Dj...   I have a lot of tools in my garage and I work on my car but I don't call myself a mechanic...  So why is it so easy for others to give themselves the title of photographer?  Is it because in this age of digital photography with memory cards with gigabytes in the double digits, you can afford to take thousands of images and just because in the law of averages the odds are there's going to be a good shot in there somewhere?  In contrast, in the days of shooting film, there were costs involved in film purchasing and processing not to mention time back and forth to the lab for pick up and delivery.  In those days, the shots mattered because they cost money.  Maybe...  I don't know.  I can't pinpoint why and maybe that's just part of the reason for this phenomena.  Anyway,  drifted off point.  This entry is supposed to be about choosing a photographer.  Feel free to consider the above when making your selection.

If I had to suggest why you should select a photographer I would say the best reason is because you like their work.  It's really that simple.  Everything else, even though may be a factor, is secondary.  There is a lot of talent out there but every photographer sees things differently and there are just as many styles out there as well.  Select the photographer that you feel most confident that they will provide you with the images you desire.  From there, you can hammer out the remaining details.

I came across a video for Angie's List in regard to selecting a photographer.  There are some very good points in this presentation.  I'd like to share it with you.  To view the video click here

Selecting a photographer is no easy task but you do have choices... and that's good!  There are more photographers out there than flavors of ice cream.   Some people would like a double scoop of chocolate and some vanilla.  There are people that like Mint n Chip and those that prefer Rocky Road.  It's all good ice cream but if you were craving Mint n Chip, Rocky Road just wouldn't satisfy.   Of course I would hope to be your flavor selection when it comes to photography but if it's not a Mint n Chip day, I understand.  Keep in mind, unlike your double scoop of ice cream,  your photographic images are going to remain long after you've finished your flavor of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post